Tuesday, April 29, 2008

In Tacoma

The train was an hour and a half late getting into Glenwood on Sunday. My parents and I sat in the station and worked on a crossword puzzle before walking outside to see it pull up. I pulled my pack up to coach and my parents stood on the hill outside and waved, and I waved back, through tinted glass.
We followed the river for a while, up through the pale red canyons, the water thick with runoff, and as we crossed into Utah the windows filled with sagebrush hills, instead.
West. Into Nevada in the night, my chair leaned back and my foot-rest sprung up. The pack in the seat next to me. And across into California the next day. Up into the Sierra Nevadas, still thick with snow, and through the blasted tunnels of Donner pass, then down and down, still west, until Sacremento. The six hour layover passed quickly in the balm of the evening. I lugged around downtown, checked out the mall and the library, and headed back to the station to read until the next train arrived.
At midnight we boarded and pulled out heading north, the second of my four tickets torn. I slept most of the way through until morning, and Klamath Falls, where we switched to bus for the next stretch, all the way up to Eugene. Through the mountains we hit alternating rain and snow and sleet and the trees were white in the cold. It didn't make me anxious to get going, watching the windshield wipers beat back and forth, furiously, trying to stay up with the fevered pace of the sky.
Back on the train, though, the weather brightened, and the last seven hour stretch, up into Washinton and through to Tacoma, was mostly lit with sun. The thick forests shone damp, and the Columbia swirled brightly. Up through Salem, and Portland, and Olympia, and into the station here in Tacoma.
Judy is....a second cousin? I think that's right, but I'm not sure. She recognized me, though, as I pulled my pack off the train, and tonight I'm at her house. Tomorrow she's going to show me around town, walk me down the bay and such, and then Thursday I'll head out to the actual coast.
To officially begin.

2 comments:

danreedmiller said...

Dashiel, Dan here, the guy next to you on the Amtrak Bus from K. Falls to Eugene. You didn't mention to me that you were doing the walk barefoot! That makes it even more amazing. When I thru-hiked the AT in 2001 there were a pair of sisters from Maine known as the barefoot sisters. They had barefoot hiked the entire trail southbound the year before, and after a winter break in Georgia turned around and hiked the entire thing back north again, except with sandals so as to be able to walk somewhat faster on what is very often an extremely rocky and rough trail. The roadsides you'll be on won't be like that, thankfully. Looking forward to reading more of your trip dispatches.
You can link to mine (from 2003 onward) from www dot danreedmiller dot com. Big bike trip that year and Latin American travels the last couple.

Unknown said...

Hi Dashiel:

Your Tacoma post card arrived here today. We put it on "The Frig Alter". It will remind us of you and your barefoot adventure! Mt. Rainier is an awe inspiring friend that just dominates the entire landscape. We appreciate you starting this blog so we can follow along.

Thanks,

The Kirtley's