Friday, May 9, 2008

Centralia

After staying the night near Olympia on the fifth, I headed north, to Tacoma. Before leaving home I had opened a checking account so that I could use a debit card on the trip, instead of carrying a bunch of cash, but the card didn't arrive until after I had left on Amtrak. So my parents mailed it to my cousin, and I had to go back up to Tacoma to get it in the mail. A little out of the way, but a nice way, in part, to end the first week. A hundred miles to whip my feet into shape and then fill my pack back up with cookies and granola bars.
I got into Tacoma late on the sixth, and then spent the next day there, as well. Yesterday I rode back down to Olympia and started walking south.
My original route would have taken me east from there, but apparently the mountains that way are still really snowy and cold for May, and so I was advised to head farther south before going east. Now the plan is to head south to Vancouver, and then follow the Columbia from there. Hopefully that will get me into some better weather - the last few days have been pretty bleak, after the nice stretch I had going for a while.
Beyond Tumwater (south Olympia) I stopped in for a visit at a wolf rescue, four miles north of Tenino. Most of the wolves in the facility aren't in the species survival plan and won't be assimilated into the wild or bred. I guess they come from more domestic situations - zoos and households, where they've been overly exposed to humans. But it's a great place, from what I saw.
And then on to Tenino, and down highway 507 to Bucoda and finally into Centralia. I did twenty seven miles on the day and was pretty sore, though my blisters have all healed well and I was able to put in a lot of time barefoot, again. The initial rough stretch seems to have taken a break.
I slept, last night, behind the train station, in Centralia. It's a pretty nice area, or seems to be, and nobody bothered me, but the freight trains weren't wonderful, clamoring through all night. In between, though, I slept well. And this morning the aches that had settled into my joints quickly faded away.

4 comments:

cookie cousin said...

Dash,
Only one day gone and we all ready
miss your smiling face and great
music.What a pleasure.
Who can I make waffles for so I can
have them.
Keep safe & enjoy.
Love,
Your family in
Tacoma J,S,& C

Anonymous said...

Hey there barefoot warrior,

My good friend Dan Reed Miller told me about you, said you'll be comin' through our area soon. If you come through Portland, you should definitely come and stay at my place in North Portland (where Dan normally lives, incidentally). If you're staying on the Washington side, it just so happens I'll be in Vancouver Sunday afternoon/evening and so maybe, just maybe, it's possible to meet you...? I don't know what your communication options are but you could email me or call me at 503-289-1908. Either way, may your adventures be rich...
Debbie

A Coaldalien said...

Dashiel,
I just started reading your blog and I plan to follow along with you on your trip from right here in comfortable Coaldale. Hang in there, we're pulling for you. I hope the wind is at your back and you make good time, with the emphasis on "good".
Dick C.

LynnA said...

Good luck, Nephew!

I believe I heard from Grandpa that you had passed Castle Rock. I've left the map open to Washington and I'm following your progress. I check this everyday looking forward to your latest posting.

This is exciting. Have a good trip. Lynn