Monday, May 5, 2008

Olympia

The blisters have cought up with me. Just a few miles out of Aberdeen they started to poke through, started to surface like dis-colored dimes and started to sting. By the time I'd made it back to Brady, where the bus picked me up on the first day out of Tacoma, they'd become pretty much intolerable. I waddled around gingerly as I strung up my poncho for the night. So the next day, the fourth of the month, I pulled out the medical supplies. Dabbed some ointment on the feet and wrapped them up tight with bandage. And pulled on my thick socks and my sandals.
I did pretty well, afterwards. Still made eighteen miles on the day, though I had to take a lot of breaks and go slow. By the time I was ready to pull over for the night the blisters were actually feeling pretty good. They'd all drained out and started to firm up, slightly.
I set up my little tent twenty yards from the highway in some thick grass and I slept soundly.
This morning the feet felt good, but not great. Not good enough to try barefoot again, at least. I made it the last fifteen miles into Olympia without a whole lot of trouble, and I think I'll hole up here for the night, or maybe just out of town, and then take off the socks for a little while tomorrow. I probably can't do a whole lot, but we'll see. Hopefully the blisters will start to harden up more within a few days.
The weather's been wonderful. Aside from the first morning, at the ocean, I haven't hit any rain, and the sun's been out enough that I've had to put on sunscreen. It's the spring weather I was hoping to get, but wasn't planning on, up here in the evergreen state. When we checked in, from Colorado, the forecast predicted ten straight days of rain leading up to my departure. So it's been a welcome change now that I'm here.
I can't really place how I'm feeling about the whole thing. Not sure if I'm worried, or content, or convinced that this is crazy, looking down the road. I guess, in part, the feeling changes with the day. Each morning I feel good, feel ready to walk and ready to sing and ready to declare Florida already mine. But as the day wears on, as the sun droops low and the shoulders ache and the shadows fall from the trees, my spirits start to fade. I'm still totally in the dark on how the trip is going to go. I don't know what kind of pace I can set, or what the weather's going to do tomorrow...there are so many variables.
But sleep recharges the spirit tank. The sun bids me luck. And the miles go by.

1 comment:

Oz said...

Dashiel,
I had read of your adventure in the Canon paper while at my brothers. I wish you the best on your journey and what a journey!!!
I trust that your feet will heal and harden soon. How is the rest of the body holding up?? I am impressed with your willingness and determination to do something for the greater good. I commend your efforts-- will you be speaking or any of that along the way to bring awareness to your "cause"?
It is great to be able to follow your journey via this blog... and I look forward to reading more of your story--"How I Spent My Summer Vacation by Dashiel Alsup" :)
Nothing but the best to you my friend. I trust you will find the resolve daily meet the challenges of each day.

Oz